Artists makes art because they must do it and because they believe in the relevance of it. Well, I admit that artists sometimes question the relevance of their work.
Maybe it`s only my personal impression that many artists have severe narcissistic attributes but this impression is based on observation. A few ways of behaviour they all have in common.
- They seem to be very sure that they are important – and their work of course.
- They seek for endless admiration.
- They use other people for their benefit – accept attention, help and support and don`t give much back because they are convinced that they deserve erverything for only being there, for being themselves.
- They manipulate others to get what they want.
- Some artists refuse to do everyday tasks and make persons who love them doing everything they feel themselves too good for.
- When their work is criticized or only brought into question, they are offended and terminate contact with this person.
- They lack of empathy and put their needs always first. They only want people around who serve them.
- To upgrade their own image they must devalue others through criticism, accusation, mobbing and cynicism.
Everyone wants their work to be seen and at least accepted. Each person has narcisstic attributes but where is the border to the negative personality? Maybe the border is located where others are being harmed, the feelings of people are being hurt. Certainly it is where people are exploited and used.
Maybe I don`t know enough artists in person to make a conclusion on this topic, in this post I only write down some thoughts. Do you know artists and do they have questionable personalities or at least attributes?
Last, very personal thought: since childhood I wanted to be an artist, express myself through things I create, but I never wanted to be a narcisstic or egoistic person. I don`t have a career, nor success, I just keep on creating because I have to. Honestly I would love to have success without being a bad person.